Going to a medical appointment can be a stressful, nerve-wracking experience. This is especially true after receiving a diagnosis such as mesothelioma.
Most patients diagnosed with mesothelioma have many questions about their diagnosis, treatment plan, options, prognosis, and more. But remembering those questions when it comes time to meet with the doctor can be a struggle.
This is why preparing for medical appointments is so important. Knowing what questions to ask your doctor – and having those questions in front of you during your appointment – can help you make the most of your appointment.
Here are questions you may want to ask your doctor:
Questions about the diagnosis
- Can you explain my lab/pathology test results?
- What type of mesothelioma do I have? (pleural, peritoneal, pericardial, testicular)
- What stage is my cancer?
- What is my prognosis?
Questions about treatment
- What are my treatment options?
- Why are you recommending a certain treatment plan?
- Is the goal of my treatment to eliminate the cancer or manage symptoms?
- Will I have to have surgery?
- Will I have to have chemotherapy or radiation?
- Are there any clinical trials I can participate in?
Questions about doctor’s experience
- What experience do you and your colleagues have treating patients with mesothelioma?
- Is there a specialist you could refer me to?
- Is there a specialty clinic or hospital I could go to?
Questions about managing mesothelioma
- Should I be eating a certain diet?
- Should I avoid certain things? (smoking, for example)
- Are there things I can do to stay as healthy as possible throughout treatment? (Diet, exercise, supplements, lifestyle changes)
Print off this page to have this list of questions available when you meet with your doctor. You will certainly have questions of your own, so make sure to write those down as well.
As someone newly diagnosed with mesothelioma, you deserve to have all your questions answered. This will allow you to make informed decisions about your treatment plan and future.
You also deserve to learn about your legal options, as you may be eligible for compensation. Call 866-594-8765 to speak to a mesothelioma attorney in a free consultation. We represent clients nationwide.