Removing asbestos from older buildings is extremely dangerous. If not done properly, asbestos fibers can become airborne. This type of asbestos exposure is linked to devastating health outcomes, including lung cancer and mesothelioma. However, before being diagnosed, some people in South Carolina might not even know that they were ever exposed to the deadly substance.
A group of residents at an apartment in another state say they were never warned of possible exposure to asbestos. The asbestos was located in the apartment's laundry room, which is located in the basement of the building. Residents say they were never notified that work would be going on before the removal process started.
One of the residents only found out that the removal project was for asbestos because she works from home and was there when it started. When the workers left, they put up a sign warning residents to stay out of the basement for at least 24 hours. According to that same woman the basement doors were wide open the next morning. The property manager later sent an email saying that the residents were not at risk because he did not believe that the asbestos ever became airborne.
Asbestos is a cancer-causing substance found in a wide variety of products. Many older buildings are contaminated with the substance, which can become deadly if disturbed. When South Carolina building owners do not adequately warn residents or visitors of possible asbestos exposure or take the correct steps for its removal, they can potentially be held responsible for their actions. Many victims find that pursuing civil suits against these individuals can achieve both necessary compensation as well as a much-needed sense of justice.